US military launches strikes against Iran, Central Command says
U.S. and Iranian flags are seen in this illustration taken March 23, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration
WASHINGTON, July 7 (Reuters) - The U.S. military has launched a series of strikes against Iran, U.S. Central Command said Tuesday, adding that the strikes were in response to what it said were Iranian attacks on three commercial vessels that were transiting the Strait of Hormuz.
"U.S. Central Command forces have begun launching a series of powerful strikes against Iran to impose heavy costs for targeting and attacking commercial shipping," a U.S. military statement said.
"Iran’s demonstrated aggression was unwarranted, dangerous, and a clear violation of the ceasefire," it added.
It was unclear what specifically the U.S. targeted but Iranian media said six projectiles hit the area of Taheroui pier in Sirik in southern Iran.
This marks the first known U.S. military strikes against Iran since late last month, when there were several days of strikes and counterstrikes between the two.
(Reporting by Idrees Ali, Phil Stewart, Ryan Patrick Jones, Ismail Shakil and Daphne Psaledakis; editing by Michelle Nichols and Sanjeev Miglani)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- US, Iran keep up hostile rhetoric ahead of new sanctions
- US Postal Service issues rules to tighten mail-in voting if court gives OK
- US Navy aircraft transits Taiwan Strait before planned Xi-Trump meeting
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share